When I installed Internet Explorer 8, there were some things that I felt needed to change. In case you may want to make these modifications too, I offer these fixes.
First off, I have several sites that I have multiple accounts on. For instance, my ISP uses Yahoo for its web mail service. I have a separate Yahoo account that I use for my Yahoo Groups access. On some of the job sites I use more than one profile (one that’s more focused on my web developer skills, the other specifically focuses on SharePoint). Occasionally I like to manage the multiple accounts at the same time (I’m a multitasker). In IE7, the default was for IE windows to run in separate processes, ad tabs within a window to run in the same process. So if I was logged into Yahoo, and opened a Yahoo link in a new tab, I’d still be logged into Yahoo in the new tab. But if I opened a new IE window (from a shortcut on the desktop, start menu or the Quick Launch bar), I was not logged into Yahoo (and could log in under my other account).
With IE8, the windows normally open in the same process, so when I opened a seapare window to manage my other Yahoo account, I was already logged in as the first account. In order to access the second account, I’d have to log out of the first account first.
The solution is actually very easy to accomplish. Right click on the shortcut (you will have to do this for each shortcut that you will use to launch a separate browser) and choose “Properties”. On the “Shortcut” tab, under target, will be a path to the Internet Explorer application, that will read something like “C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe” (with the quotes). In that field, add to the end, after the quotation mark, a space and “-nomerge” (without the quotes).
Since I generally only use the link in the Quick Launch bar, I actually only made the change to that link, and left the others in their default mode.
The second change I wanted was the removal of the new “Suggested Sites” button on the “Favorites Bar” (formerly known as the “Links Bar”). First of all, during installation I declined to use the “Suggested Sites” feature. I already spend too much time browsing the Internet. Plus, I don’t need Micro$oft suggesting sites for me to visit – I’ve got plenty of people on Twitter doing that. Plus it smacks of monitizing the browser… pay M$ some money, and they’ll flog your site. Sorry, not interested. But, once installed, the button was still there. And it was taking up precious real estate on my Links toolbar, pushing links off my screen and onto the drop menu at the end of the toolbar.
The Help file was no help. The instructions were to go to the Tools menu and choose the Suggested Sites option. Which wasn’t there. And the feature wasn’t activated during setup anyway. It turns out that the Suggested sites button is actually just a modified shortcut link and can be moved to the end of the Favorites bar (which I did, moving it into the overflow drop-down at the left of the menu bar) or simply deleted by right-clicking on it and choosing “Delete”.
There you have it, some pretty simple fixes (once you know what to do) for some minor tweaks. Hope it helps!